Sunday, June 20, 2010

Oil Fires in the Kitchen

Glenbrae School students visited the Mt Wellington Fire Station on Friday as part of our Keeping Ourselves Safe study this term. We were lucky enough to have an ex-Glenbrae School student ( from 1954) George Saunders as our guide. I think we got to see lots of extra things because of this. Here are some letters of thanks from the students in Room 7. We hope you like the video. REMEMBER- never put water on an oil fire.


Dear George Saunders,
I am writing to say thank you for letting us come to the fire station.We appreciate it very much.
I learned that you should never try to put out an oil fire with water. If you do, you will get burnt and most probably die.

Your Sincerely
Pene (Year 6)



Dear George,
I am writing to say thanks for having us at the fire station. We had fun.
I learnt don't put water in burning oil because everything will burn.

Yours Sincerely
Joshua (Year 6


Dear George,
Thank you so much for spending such a wonderful time with us!! I bet not all schools see as much as we did.
The greatest thing that I learnt was that you must LOOK WHEN YOU COOK!
We all learnt heaps. It was an extraordinary trip.
Once again, thank-you very much.
You're that BEST!
Yours Sincerely
Davinia ( year 5)




Dear George,
I am thankful for the goodies and for you having us at the station.

I will remind my parents of everything you taught us.

Yours Sincerely
Oshyne (Year 5)




Dear George,
Hi, my name is Sariah and I would like to thank you for having Glenbrae at the fire station.
At the time you showed us the kitchen fire experiment, I was so amazed that just by putting water on an oil fire could really make it so much bigger.
Once again, a huge thank you for making time for Glenbrae School to come and visit.

Yours Sincerely
Sariah (Year 6)



Dear George,
I am writing to say thank you for giving the Glenbrae School students a tour of the fire station.
We all learnt to never pour water on a fire but an adult could block the fire with wood, plastic or a wet cloth.

From
Myo Htat (Year 6)

5 comments:

Room 3 PBS said...

Hi Room 7,

We liked your fire video. We had to make your video bigger to full screen because we wanted to see the fire. It would have been exciting and fun to be there.

From Room 3 PBS

SarahMTai said...

Hi Room 7,

Wow! How exciting to see the flames burst out when you put water onto an oil fire. It's very dangerous. I see you all enjoyed it from reading your thank you notes. Awesome stuff!

From Ms Tai

Miss Garden said...

That experiment got the message across didn't it! I wont be putting water on an oil fire any time soon.
I also liked reading all your sincere thank you letters to George. Sariah, your appreciation and amazement in response to the experiment was very clearly expressed.
Miss Garden

Katopau said...

That was wicked.
The fire was blazing
hot it looked like a
volcano erupting.

From Katopau

Room 5 Tamaki Primary said...

It's soooo important that kids learn about fire and its dangers. Your letters are really thoughtful and I'm sure George will love the Letters. Well done Glenbrae....keep up the great work!!
Mrs Fepuleai
(Tamaki Primary)